The headline story is a report by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation which praises the Wester Hailes Representative Council as “a good example to estates all over Britain of how local people can work in partnership to improve their area.” The report, which outlined a strategy to regenerate Britain’s housing estates suggests the Rep Council structure and approach could be a role model for other areas. Also featured on the front page is a sell-out Christmas performance by the Dove Centre which was a great success. Other stories include
- A stained glass window designed by women from Homeline and donated to the Rachel House Hospice.
- A visit to the European Parliament by 2 WHEC students
- News from around the neighbourhoods and a Christmas poem
- WHALE’s Christmas show Santa’s Last Stop, written by a group of local residents from creative writing workshops run by the Platform Project.
- Feature on Jean Allison, Principal Music Teacher at the WHEC who had been chosen the previous month as the 1995 University of Edinburgh Aumna.
- Pat McHat’s list of Christmas letters found in Santa Claus’ sack.
You’ll find all these stories and more at Sentinel January 1996.
Front page news was the report on funding for Clovenstone housing improvements. Raymond Robertson MP came to Wester Hailes to bring the good news. Other stories included
- Malcom Rifkind visiting the Rep Council to mark the start of the building of the Club 85 replacement
- The WHEC’s showband
- A report on BSE and the safety of Scottish beef
- Information about a campaign against the privatisation of water companies
- An interview with Police Superintendent Alex Justice.
- Pat McHat’s views on the race for the Premier League
You can see the pages for this week by clicking here on April Sentinel 1996 .
October 1996. Pictured is an
artist’s impression of a proposed centre that was to be called Complex 2000 and would have been a multi purpose hub for a range of local organisations if funding had been awarded. Located on the canal, it would also have provided a cafe, crèche and conference facilities. Other stories include
- Former Wester Hailes resident becoming the lead singer for Genesis
- George Robertson, Labour’s Scottish spokesman meeting with the Rep Council
- Neighbour support after a local pensioner’s dog is stolen
- A critical look at the new Job Seeker Allowance benefit which was introduced in October 1996
- An examination of poor behaviour on the football pitch