The headline story gives details of a new initiative focused on creating a greener environment for the area. Workers from a local project and local volunteers were planting trees and shrubs in Clovenstone and Calders. Pupils from Clovenstone Primary School were also involved leading to the school setting up a gardening project. Other stories include
- Who does What- a response to a then common issue on whether the Edinburgh District Council or the Lothian Regional Council were responsible for the footpaths and internal walkways.
- A report on new efforts to set up tenants’s associations in Clovenstone and Westburn
- Concern that the issues raised by the tenants of Dunsyre House had still not been resolved satisfactorily.
- News from around the areas including information about a youth exchange with Munich for young people from Clovenstone.
- Cilla’s Kidz Column with a variety of stories, including a couple of tales that show their young authors’ abilities to put a gory twist in the most unlikely subjects!
You’ll find all these stories and more by clicking here.
The Sentinel’s lead story was a report on the Huts with the announcement that classroom units would be used to construct neighbourhood bases. The front page featured an artist’s impression of how these might look.
Other stories featured included
- News on the Edinburgh Tenants Group
- The Story of the Great Westburn Wall
- An article on WHURPAC
- News from Around the Areas
For more information and stories please click here. Sentinel August 1980
32 years ago, the front page story features a public exhibition about the bypass after the go ahead had been given for the Sighthill section. Other stories include
- Acorn Club Opening event
- A report suggesting a car care co-operative to help people look after their cars cheaply
- Information about the Wester Hailes Youth Opportunies Programme and the promotion of their AGM as a way of finding out more about the scheme
- Information from Around The Areas
- The Sounds Around music column complete with a Pop Puzzle
You’ll find all these stories and more if you click on September 1980
The front page report features some of the Christmas highlights taking place in Wester Hailes that year, including the community pantomime “A We’an In A Manager”. Other stories and articles include
- A report on the news that children from Westburn Primary School had not been able to take part in the panto. Fortunately the stop press news was that this decision had been reversed.
- A letter from a developer arguing for more shops to be allowed in Hailesland Garden.
- Information about the WHEC Big Band and their successful performances.
- A feature on the Dumbryden Primary Gardening Club who held a community planting day at their school to create a heather and conifer garden.
- Around the Areas- all the local news from the neighbourhoods
- Cilla’s Kidz Kolumn which includes some creative writing from local young people showing their usual enthusiasm and aptitude for ghosts and gore!
- Information about volunteering at the CAB
- The prizewinners in Calder Merribelles Dancing Troupe.
You can find these stories and more at Sentinel December 1980.