Over the last few weeks, we’ve put together a timeline of key events and decisions that shaped how the area was built, developed and altered across the decades. This is the final part: 1995-1999. Were you in Wester Hailes during these times? We want the time line to reflect different people’s reflections and memories so if you think we’ve missed important information out, get in touch and let us know.
- Interim Evaluation of the Wester Hailes Partnership – report by McGregor, Kintrea, Fitzpatrick and Urquhart (The Scottish Office Central Research Unit).
- Community Housing Strategy updated by the Housing Strategy Working Group of WHRC & CHIP.
- Action 21 set up by WHP.
- Young Tenants Support Project set up by WHP.
- Local government reorganisation – City of Edinburgh Council unitary authority established.
- Neighbourhood Signage Project (WHP).
- Wester Hailes Partnership Development Profile (July).
- Cyber Café launched by the Young Tenants Support Project (UK’s first internet café in a peripheral estate).
- October – Wester Hailes Youth Union launched
- The CUR Report
- September – “Maintaining the Momentum – the Partnership Strategy for the Millenium”
- Collapse of Westside Training Agency
- April – Wester Hailes Representative Council restructured – 26 Neighbourhhood Councils replaced by 12 larger NCs
- May – First elections held for new Scottish Parliament – Iain Gray elected as local MSP
- October- ‘An Evaluation of the New Life for Urban Scotland Initiative’ published
- November – New £1.3million market hall opened in Westside Plaza shopping centre
- Month not known – Wester Hailes Multicultural Development Project starts